Monday, April 18, 2011

Weekend + food

I kicked off the weekend with some apple pie baking. I'd had some wild apples sitting around for weeks that I couldn't bear to waste. So I made up a sweet shortcrust pastry and cooked up the apples with sugar, cinnamon quills and vanilla extract. To the last pie I added some leftover frozen berries from the freezer.



 On Sunday we headed out for a dirt road drive and ended up at the local monthly market. I bought some lemons and plums. Home grown lemons are a rarity in our area. The plums I thought I would turn into some jam. My previous experience with jam was a batch of cherry jam at christmas 2008. It was really so easy though and actually a little fun... don't you love that type of cooking? If you haven't tried jam I urge you to give it a go. From 1kg of fruit I made six jars of jam. Fun and frugal.


Do you remember those quinces? Well, here are a few of them cooked into Quince Jelly. Which, by the way, takes a lot of fruit and makes a small amount of jelly. Now I know why the CWA charges so much for these jellies. Here they are in all their red glory.


Quince Jelly
1.5kg quinces
1kg sugar
juice 1 lemon
strip of lemon rind
7 cups water

Place washed quinces whole in large saucepan with sugar, lemon juice, rind and water. Bring to the boil, stirring often. Boil gently for two hours, remove lemon rind and quinces. 

Pour into sterilized jars and seal. 

I used a water bath method afterwards. Rhonda from Down to Earth has written a good post here about this method.

Adapted from A Year in a Bottle by Sally Wise.


Labels were from here. Other cute one's available here.




Hope yours was a good weekend.

10 comments:

  1. Ah sounds like a blissful weekend :)
    I too indulged in some comfort food making and little of much else.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds lovely!
    Look at the amazing colour of that quince jelly. It is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're making me very hungry with those delicious pictures. I love making jam as well... so economical, although I think I missed the cheap strawberry season (if there is one) over here. I must find a pick your own farm if there are any in WA! I attempted a mulberry jam from a tree in my rental garden back in early summer, but I wound up with a tasty cordial syrup instead!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yum. what fun. how good is the feeling of finished bottles of jams and jellies. have never tried qunice jelly but i look forward to. enjoy your delights. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hmmm... glorious food. The color of the Jelly is amazing and the apple pie looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My only jam making experience resulted in a fail and a whole lot of wasted mulberries. It has frightened me off attempting it again thus far.

    Your jams and jellies look mighty tempting though...

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good Morning - it's 4:04 AM here and I will be leaving for work in less than 30 minutes - new position starts today! This was my last weekend to have to work now it will be only Monday through Fridays...YEAH! I love the jelly photos. In June my husband and I plan to pick LOTS of blackberries so that I can make jam. Homemade jams and jellies are SO EASY to make and taste so good.
    HAPPY HOMEMAKING!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds like a beautiful weekend Tania, baking and going to a country market are all the things I love to do on the weekend too. I haven't made an apple pie in ages, they are fun and a homely thing to do and they taste delicious too:) Have a wonderful week. xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never made jelly before but plan to this year. Yours looks beautiful (and delicious).

    That rainbow photo is REALLY stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That all looks wonderful!
    Your pictures certainly show a lovely, homey weekend. I love the Autumn colours.
    I hope to make some jam and jelly this year, we'll see
    Enjoy your week
    x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. If you have any questions please check back later as I will do my best to answer any within the comments section.